Thursday, March 27, 2008

I THINK YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE THIS...

I wrote this piece for Gridskipper about film locations in London. Don't worry, it's not all Bridget Jones and Four Weddings/Notting Hill - though those bastards do seem determined to redraw the entire capital to fit their sanitised, ethnically cleansed, sappy vision of how London should be. Hey, people seem to love it. HATE THOSE FILMS. (The most insulting thing anyone has ever (innocently) said to me was that the character of Bridget Jones reminded her of me.)

There are so many things I wish I had known before; like the location of Holly Golightly's apartment in Breakfast at Tiffany's (East 71st street.) Of course I've stood outside the NYC Tiffany's window holding a pretzel and a coffee, wearing a black Givenchy evening gown at 5am. Kind of. Without the coffee or the pretzel or the dress or the 5am.

Read the London piece here. Just don't EVER go to Thamesmead.

2 comments:

RD said...

It's time to confess I enjoyed You've Got Mail. I'm not really a Meg type, nor a Tom type. But it was filmed in my neighborhood! It gave NY a warm, romantic feeling if not with the wit of Woody Allen, at least it was better than a crime show. But the cafe where they met has been utterly destroyed now. It is overrun by tourists, and they no longer even try to be a nice cafe since they always have long queues.... BB

Diane Dehler said...

Reality often exists outside of the details. :)