Thursday, November 27, 2008

YESTERDAY...

Well, yesterday was eventful. The consumerism switch was flipped back on via the purchase of those A.P.C. pyjamas. I had to. They were the first non essential thing I've bought since the beginning of September (excluding books, which are sort of essential.) Does anyone else have the ability to just flip the switch and stop shopping completely without any ill effects? Hmm, more to say on that later I think. Yesterday, there was also a bit of Christmas present buying, a bit of perfume sampling - French accented vendor quote of the day: "This one it reminds you of when you are in the 19th century and you are doing all these things that are forbidden but it's really exciting because it's a secret. Yes that's what this one is like." Total sweetheart.

And then there was my first visit to Princi. You were probably there as well, since by lunchtime when I went back for the second time, the throng was ten deep at the huge, long counter and the fast paced seat negotiations felt like a human chess game. So many pastries, so little time. It's just the best place, the best idea. Like a cross between actually being in Italy and a posh canteen. Earlier we had sampled every bit of pastry laid out to taste on the counter, then I went back for pizza slices. I disagree with Time Out about the quality of the food. It was all delicious - and really cheap.

After searching in vain for little individual feathers at MacCulloch & Wallis I hopped on the train home - and the doors slammed shut with me between them, pressing into my arms on either side so I was literally wedged in the middle, unable to move. The train was full and due to depart, so everyone just stared at me or ignored the fact there was a human squashed between two doors for ages, until someone got up and pulled the door hard enough to release me. The doors then slammed behind me and the train started to move. It was so embarrassing - I have no idea why I'm reliving it by writing this. No one said a word except me who said, "Oh My God" as I was released. And then I sat down opposite a vicar. Sorry. There were also about ten people on the platform outside the doors, tutting because the "obstruction" had meant they hadn't been able to get on the train. Only the English.

5 comments:

RD said...

I do miss London, but not the Underground. Glad you were liberated. The British ability to tut-tut is impressive. In the US they would just have shouted at you - but after pulling you from the door... BB

Unknown said...

Princi sounds amazing - by what the website tells me about the food they make! Pity that I do not live anywhere London...but it was shitty that no-one helped you. Hope your arms recovered!
Have a good weekend ahead :)
A*

Char said...

feathers - something so simple yet so perfect.

Anonymous said...

oh i hope you are ok?! (i personally, if there was that silence, would have started laughing...which of course may or may not made the situation even worse!) and love that you got pyjamas! and the french accented vendor...had me thinking about 19th century literature all day long...
fun post!
nancy

Claire said...

BB - oh it reminds me of this subway woman in Brooklyn telling me to "take the G train" which I did, through Bed Stuy, carrying loads of Barney's bags. I felt a little conspicuous.

Little Star - Princi is so good. I kept thinking how great it would be if they could deliver to my house daily.

Char - you'd think so but I can't find the right ones...

Nancy - I'm fine, just a little wounded pride and slightly sore arms! I must have looked so funny wedged in the door it would have been better if someone had laughed or anything but deathly silence...