Monday, June 29, 2009

SERENDIPITY...

*When I realised my trip to Paris coincided with Les Soldes I was very happy. I love the Paris sales - everything is 50 or 40% off straight away and boutiques still function as places where you get service, rather than places where the staff bung all the stock on the shop floor, then run away and leave you to elbow your way through the dregs. It's all quite civilised and I don't know if it's a sign of the recession or not, but they seem more likely to have the thing you want in the size you need - rather than the usual situation where you end up buying something ridiculous in the wrong size just because it's in the sale.

*When I arrived at my friends' building in the 3rd where I usually stay, I was looking around the courtyard for the Gardien to give me the key. Then I couldn't help but notice the parade of beautiful young men exiting the door of the Ann Demeulemeester showroom (which is downstairs) putting their shirts back on. Casting. Mens' fashion week. Of course.

So events took an interesting turn - shopping wise and male model wise (though my days as a mens' fashion week modelizer are long gone - about 13 years long gone.)

Paris was hot, sunny and beautiful as always. It made me feel generally more enthused about life than I have been. My trip was too short and I'm still in shock at having to come back to London so soon, when I was having such a good time.

More later, and probably all this week about the shopping (success at Vanessa Bruno!) and the cute boys (fun!). But for now here's a picture of a cute dog: I don't seem to take the kind of photos I used to in Paris; no more gratuitous close ups of macarons and the like, though you can find plenty of those here...

8 comments:

Madelene said...

That picture is almost too good to be true, haha. Looking forward to finding out more about this trip.. Vanessa Bruno shopping is always a pleasure.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That is the quintissential Paris photo anyway . A pampered pooch and pistolets . Perfect !

Unknown said...

too quick too short...oh can't wait to hear about your adventures...and purchases...:))

RD said...

What, no scratching around on the floor like a pig in a trough? No battling other girls? No quick-change trials right there on the spot? No sharp elbows? No "accidentally" shoving someone out of the way? Where's the sport in that? BB

Claire said...

I nearly got thrown out of Isabel Marant for getting fed up of queuing for a changing room and trying on a cardigan, which basically consisted of putting it on over my top. That was when I realised I could ask for another size and all that. Still a sport, just more polo to our rugby...(Mind you I did nab a beautiful blouse another girl had just tried on as the assistant removed it from the changing room)

Unknown said...

oh the moments of catlike readiness and stealthiness...bravo bravo!!

NewYorkChique said...

I love Paris! and the dog is soo cute =D

erica said...

we left right before the winter sales, but i bet the summer ones were better anyway.

i am in love with that dog.