Saturday, November 07, 2009

SCRAPS...

*Eating soda farls with butter and red fruit jam made by French nuns that C & J brought me back from their French roadtrip. It's delicious and makes me feel holy.

*Considering going to the Depeche Mode concert at the O2 next month - on my own. No one I know likes them - or not enough to buy a ticket. But I'm not sure I can live with the knowledge of them playing live in such close proximity while I'm at home 3 or 4 miles away painting my toenails or something. This line of thinking is even stranger considering I don't like crowds and therefore haven't been to an arena size gig since I was 11 - when my friend's dad (who was into Chuck Berry and Elvis) kindly took us to see errr, Bros (how embarrassing) at Wembley Arena. I still remember us up in the nosebleeds, my friend's dad with his fingers lodged in his ears.

*Planning how best to cosy up in the two American Vintage cardigans and mohair jumper I sensibly snagged instead of a weirdly complicated dress at the sample sale yesterday. Buying them mostly "because they'll be perfect for going to the cinema in," which frankly is about as exciting as my social life gets at the moment.

*Pondering how when I was styling I got invited to press days, which I usually couldn't go to and were mainly a pain because if you had a job on and needed samples that day, you couldn't get through to anyone because of the bloody press day. I've been getting invited to press days because of this blog for a while, and I've made a concerted effort to go to some this past week (hi Chanel!), though it sometimes feels weird. I've gone full circle - the insider that became an outsider.

*Congratulating myself for not buying the Ann Demeulemeester boots I'm obsessed with, which were either way too small or way too big (and saving myself the £560 I don't have anyway in the process.)

*Desperately needing a new camera! No pics from me but here are some by Marcio Simnch {via Feaverish} and more to see there.
marcio_simnch_7

9 comments:

Unknown said...

fun post!
oh do go to the concert!
oh and i am sure the AV buys are great..one can never have enough mohair for the colds days ahead! you must watch i you haven't already lean's "brief encounter"
and..on some level, it seems more cool to be an outsider and still be invited by the insiders...
are you still a stylist?

Claire said...

Yeah, I think I have to go - Depeche Mode aren't popular here so I'm sure I won't be the only one on my own. I have seen Brief Encounter in bits over the years - never all the way through in one sitting! Though it was on TV the other day and I watched it from halfway through - I think I'll go and see it at the BFI sometime so I can't get distracted. I don't really do styling anymore, very occasionally if I'm asked and if it's something I really want to do. But the weird thing is my name/previous career is totally unconnected with this blog.

Siru said...

Go to the concert and have fun! You'll regret it otherwise!

juliet xxx

Claire said...

Juliet - I just booked my ticket!

Rose said...

Enjoy the concert- good for you. I've done theatre on my own once and was entranced and do cinema sometimes- in fact I love to run to the cinema on my own on a day off for some peace- but I haven't done a gig. Honestly though everyone there will love it do you are essentially surrounded by friends- plus me and my friend always end up being seperated by a weird couple or whatever and not being right next to each other anyway. Enjoy!

I V Y said...

great pics! i love the sequinned dress and mask!

Madame said...

Oooh, can I recommend this film http://theposterscamefromthewalls.com/ which is all about Depeche Mode fans, really beautiful, touching, funny film which has an art house release starting I think 1st December? I think you'll love it!

And I sympathise re camera, mine got smashed and they're fixing it but it'll be 2 - EIGHT weeks!!! It's only been a week and I'm desperate!!!! On the plus side I dusted off my Flip and I've been experimenting so there's always an upside I guess....

http://www.madamesays.com/

RD said...

I'm also great at saving money I don't have! ;-)

My latest trick is just not carrying any cash around. This definitely discourages me from spending on cabs.... But I haven't yet gotten to cutting up my credit cards. That's the next step. And after that, barter. I've got nothing I could barter for a 500 quid pair of boots, so I'm sure I'll not be getting those...

BB

Claire said...

Rose - thank you! yes, I'd rather just go and be there with people who are into it, than feel responsible for someone who isn't!

Lilee - they're great aren't they...

Madame - oh, how convenient! I was just watching 101, but it makes me realise 1988 was sooo long ago. I will watch the new one for sure.
Also thinking of experimenting with Photobooth?! and eyeing up new cameras.

BB - Yes, one (saving money) kind of cancels out the other (not having it) I suppose! Still I feel good about not getting into debt over a pair of boots that don't fit.