Monday, December 28, 2009

SAGE ADVICE FROM MR. O'BRIEN...

"I think it’s about common sense. A lot of people don’t have that. The rules are made to be broken but you have to know them to do it right[.....]Anybody who’s really stylish breaks the rules."

"I’ve worn the Belgian shoes for twenty-something years. I’ve basically had the same taste in clothes since I was a teenager."

"They would hire me and I would go in and I would be wearing a suit and tie and the creative guys were wearing sweatpants and concert t-shirts and flip flops and they would stare and say ‘You’re a copywriter?’"

"By dressing expressively you figure out who you are and what works for you. By knowing what you like you find out more about yourself. That sounds pretentious but it’s true."

Superb interview with Glenn O'Brien on A Continuous Lean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I get my copy of VF, his advice column (yes, "il Grande Glenn") is the very first thing I read.
Thanks for posting this!
xxx
Mia

Unknown said...

hear hear!
and i think i essentially have the same taste since highschool (which supports my theory...) ;))
hope you had a marvelous christmas?!!!

Claire said...

Mia - I didn't even know he did that! I must see it someday...

If Jane - me too! and you too...