Wednesday, January 04, 2012

FIRST WEEK...

New year's tasks: writing everyone's birthdays in the new moleskine (I always have this red one) wearing my Family Affairs Good Spirit dress just seen on the right and repairing clothes - mostly sewing on buttons etc but I finally sewed elbow patches on my old fave APC cashmere jumper that my pointy elbows had escaped from after five years of almost daily wear. 
Items: I was given some money for Christmas, which my bank account swallowed whole for some horrifying/semi-bankrupting expenses - but I've managed to choose some lovely necessities as well. Rose Day Cream Light is so good for my red, sensitive skin - it makes it all velvety and calm - so much so that I feel like I can go out without make up, which I hate wearing. When you have a problem with redness, make up almost makes it look worse, or like what you're attempting to cover up is worse than it is. And Anabela's Dreamcats Calendar - I can't wait for these daft adorable kitties to help me remember what day it is every day...
Gold arrow bracelet: this is my little Christmas gift to myself - for protection, to remind me to go forward, stay moving in the right direction - and because I like arrows. 
The January daylight situation. This is how light my bedroom is for a few hours a day before it gets dark again. We shall overcome. 

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Love the bracelet - such a positive and beautiful reminder.

Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

love the a.p.c sweater with its new patches!
and i absolutely adore your arrow bracelet (super self-gift!) & love the philosophy behind it!
...great light!

oh i just picked up my moleskine yesterday...(mine's red as well)...

anabela / fieldguided said...

Happy new year, Claire! I really love this post, it's always such a treat to see the sweet things you bring into your life. I love the moodiness of that last photo. I have a similar lack-of-light problem in the winter... we shall overcome.

Hope those cats show up soon!

erica said...

the light is terrible here in Toronto, too--or maybe it's the orientation of my apartment. i get plenty of lovely sunlight on my 10th floor office ;)

pretty dress, and yes, elbow patches are a must on all sweaters! i hope the new year is off to a good start for you.

Gemma said...

As soon as Christmas is over and the New Year has begun I start to crave light, yesterday it felt like Edinburgh was in semi-darkness all day. I've been trying to distract myself with new recipes, a new diary (it's the pocket day to a page for me), and repeatedly wearing a new jumper I picked up in the APC sale last week.

Unknown said...

Love everything in this post - I'm tempted to sew elbow patches on all my jumpers.

Anonymous said...

Love your post,the calendar, ah, the calendar and the lovely bracelet (feeling tempted to get one myself now!! but shipping from US puts me off) and your room looks mysterious and lovely, even though that there is not much light at the moment. I share the red skin...yes, you are very right about the makeup making it looking even worse. I had this rose cream and i found it lovely. You may also try French pharmacy brands, they do products for red skins...I also seen once Clinique having something for us unlucky red faced but I find all Clinique product really harsh on my skin, as they tend to put alcohol everythere! anyway lovely post,all the best in new year, elf

Claire said...

Michelle - yes, it is!

Nancy - it's kind of neon red, no? We like that.

Anabela - we shall! Anticipating those cats...

Erica - happy new year to you - lots of light in 2012...

Gemma - sounds like we're on the same wavelength, though I reckon Edinburgh must be slightly darker than London even.

Chloe - elbow patch everything! Knees too...

Elf - shipping from US is not too bad I don't think? I never touch Clinique - as you say it's too harsh. I use a lot of French pharmacy brands: Bioderma (Crealine) La Roche Posay, Avene etc - obsessed with them! I find the Avene water spray is good after cleansing. Happy new year!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I cheered myself up immensely with a visit to the new Alaia exhibition in Groningen . Didn't like the fluffy coats , but the evening dresses ...... !!
Though a new face cream is probably more affordable and , in my case , an excellent start to the year .

Tiffany said...

very motivating! and i'm impressed by your elbow patches-must do the same for a couple of my cardigans.

Unknown said...

beautiful photos.. good luck on those new year resolutions, seems you've got it all planed for a great year ahead.. best of luck.. I liked that thing about the arrow btw.. seems magical...
stay cool!

P R I M O E Z A said...

happy new year claire. i've had a red moleskin in the past, sometimes it's nice to do things a bit differently.