Monday, January 14, 2013

SAD...






This post, featuring photos from Januaries past, is here to state the obvious: January is dark and cold and I don't like it very much. It was pretty stupid making the first month of the year be January wasn't it. Why not May for example? It's not easy staying chipper under these conditions. One of the ways to bear a month you don't like is to make excellent plans for the coming (also not a fave) month, which I've done. But I realised there are a lot of January things I normally do, that I've neglected this year - and that might be why it's just ever so slightly getting me down. Like:

1: Buying beautiful spring-like flowers and having them around the house at all times.
2: Eating cake, doughnuts - whatever helps. Seriously, how is trying to detox helping things?
3: In the same vein, am I really inspired to go running in sleet? Not really.
4: Ticking off the days in your new (green for 2013) moleskine diary and ticking off things you've accomplished, even if it's just collecting your dry cleaning.
5: Not leaving your tax return (due in the UK on 31 January) until the last minute. This is like giving yourself extra intense maths homework when you should be cheering yourself up.
6: Going to a really good exhibition/film/event - not just any old one to pass the time. Something that gets you fired up and inspired.
7: If all else fails, drinking a martini somewhere extremely fabulous with good friends. I'm going to take my own advice.

5 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

At the risk of being totally nauseating... in the Southern Hemisphere our January is a May!(so to speak). Although, this means our year is broken in the middle by a bunch of January, so...

RD said...

i know the feeling. personally i am going for a dose of discipline (detox - less of the hypnotizing foods) but leavened with a good pinch of indulgence (a good, small glass of wine each night, with a few shavings of good cheese). if the weather wont' cooperate, at least i can feel virtuous. this must explain the somber virtue of northern Europeans... xx

Carolin said...

i dislike this month too. after christmas there should be spring. even march would be great

An Scenic World said...

I'm in the same position as Ginger Jane and, I have to say, I reckon it's awful. There's no motivation to even stand up; you just lie around, melting and swatting at flies, waiting for the weather to mellow. I think the grass isn't particularly green on either side, when it comes to it.

Velvet said...

number 2 + 7 are my favorites.
it's almost february now ;)
xx